Feeling Helpless

Posted by The Ellis' On 10.14.2009 1 comments
So this little girl that I posted pictures of from before... we are broken for her. Real Hope For Haiti is one of the places we visited while in Haiti. That is where she is living. I wrote Licia, one of the sisters who runs RHFH, and asked her more about Milienne's story and future. The e-mail I recieved back from her crushed us.

We had been hoping that she had parents that would be coming back for her once she was back to being healthy, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Here is part of the e-mail that I recieved yesterday...Date of birth: March 21 2005
Date admitted: Jan 27 2009

weight when admitted:14 pounds

current weight 24 pounds


The lady that brought her said that she was her aunt. She said the mother and father were dead. She had suffered from kwashiorkor three times before she came to us. The aunt has only been back 1 time and it was many months ago to see her. We have heard nothing from her since then.


She was in bad shape when she got her. At 4 years old and 14 pounds she was so tiny. She mostly slept and did not do to much when she first arrived. She did not gain weight well for several months. She was one of the first kids on the Medika mamba program. She was the reason I wanted to begin. I knew she had not gained weight for several months and this product was promising great things. I wanted a hard case to prove this product for me. She did wonderful on it and gained her required weight.


I will be bluntly honest with you because you have been here. Having 70 kid to care for I am just trying to get as many as I can to live most days. Her speech problem was not a major concern to me at the beginning. I believe that she can hear. I could have sent her into a doctor, but we usually have the family do this. They always ask where the family is at and sometimes do not see a child if the family is not there. Also there will not be a lot of options for her here in Haiti. If she just cannot speak I am not really sure what can be done. If she did not speak or hear she could go to one of the two deaf school in Haiti. But again a family member had to be present and they are hard to get into.


Please be praying for Milienne and for Licia, Lori, & Mr. Zach. The work that these guys are doing is absolutely amazing.

Please also be praying for Philip and I... we are feeling very helpless in this situation, and wish we could do more for her. Pray for the impossible to become possible!

1 comments to Feeling Helpless

  1. says:

    The Dodds Praying. Oh my. Aubrey weighs 14 pounds right now. And she is 4 months old.

Post a Comment